Expert Insights

Family Planning and your Health

Preconception health is a woman’s health before pregnancy. It is important to know about your health conditions, family history and risk factors, which may potentially affect you and your unborn baby if you become pregnant. There are a number of things you can do for preconception health, including: Taking 400 to 800 micrograms of folic […]

Health Effects of Artificial Sweeteners

Non-nutritive sweeteners, or “artificial sweeteners,” are often thought of as sugar substitutes and usually have no calories, but they also have no nutritional benefit.  The popularity of these sweeteners is on the rise, as many people are trying to cut back on calories while still enjoying items such as soda, baked goods and ice cream. […]

Cholesterol and Heart Health in Women

Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in the cells of the body and comes from two sources: your body and food. Your liver and cells make about 75 percent of blood cholesterol; the other 25 percent comes from the foods you eat.  Although our body needs cholesterol to maintain healthy cells, high cholesterol may lead […]

Insomnia in Women

Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that is described as difficulty falling and/or staying asleep.  It can be caused by a variety of biological, psychological and social factors and affects people of all ages, including children. In general, women are affected more frequently than men.  Symptoms of insomnia include: Difficulty falling asleep Waking up frequently […]

Stay Well with Annual Gynecologic Exams

According to recent cervical cancer-screening guidelines, many women no longer need annual pap tests. However, they still need annual well-woman exams with their gynecologists for other very important screenings and evaluations, based on their age and individual risk factors.

New Moms Beating the Blues

Changes in mood and anxiety symptoms during pregnancy and after giving birth are quite common. Early diagnosis is important, so women should know the signs and symptoms of perinatal mood disorders. Many physical and emotional changes occur during the “perinatal period”, which includes the time from conception to up to a year after giving birth. […]

Learning to Manage IBS Symptoms

Did you know that next to the common cold, dealing with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) — which affects about twice as many women as men — is the second-biggest reason for missed work days in this country? If you’ve woken up with abdominal pain or severe diarrhea that prevented you from leaving home, you are […]